Saturday, October 31, 2009

National Novel Writing Month




I think I'm nuts for starting this when I have classes going on, but I also think it'll be the kind of discipline I need. Whether I feel like doing so or not, I'll have sit down and type an average of just over 1600 words per day. Which is do-able. But making sure they form a coherent story, making sure that the work won't be wasted... that'll be the interesting part.

And while I do have the idea for a story - a sub-urban fantasy - I still don't have a grip on the protagonist's and antagonist's personalities. The secondary characters are very vivid, but not the main ones. Go figure. I think I'll take an hour tonight to jot down some notes, and then hit the ground running tomorrow.

If you're taking part in NaNo, what's your last-minute pre-launch preparation like?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I'll be trying for my second year.

Last year: Urban Fantasy/Techno thriller

This year: Science Fiction/Space Opera

Marian Perera said...

Ralfast, did you win last year?

Mary Witzl said...

I'm not taking part this year, and I feel a little sad. I've got so many things that need to be rewritten, I can't in good conscience enjoy writing anything new. But there's always next year...

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes I did. By a mere 59 words.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! This is my third year.

I really love NaNo. It really got me to work hard on a novel I'd been procrastinating on, to look at the story as a whole and stop nitpicking. And even if a nano draft doesn't make a lot of sense, it's a great foundation. :)

My NaNo name is ElizaWyatt, if you want to look me up. I'm trying out a steampunk fantasy.

JH said...

I'm going to be so far behind when I begin on Tuesday.

Marian Perera said...

You can make it up on the weekend. I'm behind too. Didn't get the full quota done yesterday (working on a chemistry assignment) or today in the morning. I'll have to make it up tonight.

Hey Eliza! Steampunk is hot these days, no pun intended. Best of luck. :)

Parametric said...

My last-minute pre-launch preparation was finishing and mailing out an entirely different novel. My poor broken brain is so confused by switching from intensive work on one novel to intensive work on another in the space of an hour.

Kerri Cuev said...

Marian, I'm giving it a go-first time. Got a late start, but up to 2000 words. I'm working on book 2 of an urban fantasy so I already know my characters-making it a wee easier! Good luck to you. I enjoy reading your blog, and look foward to hearing of your progress!
kerri