Monday, January 11, 2010

Five more bizarre book titles
















The sequel to this post, and although I haven’t yet found anything that reached the heights of Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs, there are some... interesting... titles out there…

1. Stones of the Dalai Lama

I’m sure he has a very nice rock collection…

2. Scouts in Bondage

The subtitle is “A Story of Boy Scouts in Strange Adventure”, and this was published in 1935, so I’m sure the author intended it to be wholesome fare for upstanding young lads. Unfortunately, now it just makes people think that that’s why the Scouts learn so much about tying knots.

3. I Don’t Need to Have Children, I Date Them

The book is about using child psychology to deal with men, but the title suggests the author must be Mary Kay Letourneau.

4. Big Dick McCrakin

The first sentence of the book’s description is “Dick is a trucker”. Between the nickname and the profession, I think he’s trying to compensate for something.

5. I Wish My Kids Had Cancer

This one takes the prize for worst subtitle as well – “A Family Surviving the Autism Epidemic”. Because autism is so bad that your kids would be better off with an agonizing and possibly terminal illness instead?

Personally, I wish those children will never be aware of that book’s existence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Scouts in Bondage" is hilarious.

"I wish My Kids Had Cancer" is just horrible.

Marian Perera said...

I think the author was going for sheer shock value.

Becky Mushko said...

Check out the blog, Awful Library Books, at http://awfullibrarybooks.wordpress.com.

Their list of the 2009 "Best of Awful Library Books" is—well, words fail me. (Unfortunately, words didn't fail the writers.)

Marian Perera said...

Becky, I've added that to my list of fun links for further perusal. Thanks very much - it looks hilarious. :D